As you are planning your Thanksgiving this week, our Pasco County Injury Lawyers at Whittel & Melton urge you to not forget about fire safety. Thanksgiving is the peak day for home cooking fires and the number of home fires actually double on Thanksgiving, so it is important to add fire safety to the menu this year to avoid a preventable tragedy at your house this year.
The following tips could help you prevent a fire from breaking out at your household:
- Roasting a turkey? Set a timer so you will not forget about your bird as you watch the parade or football.
- Frying a turkey? Use a fryer with thermostat controls as this ensures the oil will not overheat.
- It is important to completely thaw your turkey because any ice on the bird will cause oil to splatter and could potentially cause severe burns.
- Always use the fryer outdoors. Children and pets should be kept at a minimum of three-four feet away from the fryer.
- When using your stove, don’t walk away from the food. It is always best to stay in the kitchen when you are frying, boiling or broiling. You can catch spills or spot any hazards before they turn into a fire if you stay nearby.
Our Pasco County Injury Lawyers at Whittel & Melton want you and your loved ones to have a delicious and fire free Thanksgiving. We understand that sometimes accidents happen, which is why we will be available 24/7 this holiday to help with any tragedies.
For a free consultation, call us at 727-847-2299 or contact us online.
Happy Thanksgiving from all of us at Whittel & Melton!