A 20-month-old Wesley Chapel boy was airlifted to a hospital Saturday after coming into contact with boiling water.
Authorities believe the child accidentally pulled a pot of boiling water from the stove which fell onto him causing him to suffer severe burn injuries.
The incident occurred shortly after 10 a.m. at a Wesley Chapel home, according to the Pasco County Sheriff’s Office. The boy’s parents and grandparents were at the house and cooking when the accident took place.
This accident shows just how dangerous hot water can be and how important it is to follow safety precautions and maintain adult supervision when children are around hot water. Parents, grandparents, relatives, child care givers and day care workers should always be extra cautious when supervising children in and near kitchens and dining areas. While boiling water is a common occurrence in the kitchen when preparing many different types of dishes, pots of boiling water or other hot liquids can be very dangerous to children. Small children do not understand the real dangers of scalding hot water, and can suffer severe burn injuries when they get too close to hot water.
A scalding burn injury occurs when moist heats, like extremely hot liquids and vapors, damage the skin. The moisture from hot liquids allows the burn to penetrate deeper into the layers of skin, possibly resulting in a very serious burn injury. Different from a thermal burn, healing from a scalding burn injury can take much longer and scarring can be much more substantial.
A scalding burn injury can be just as serious as a burn injury from a fire or exposure to a chemical. In fact, hot water burn injuries are fairly common throughout the United States.
According to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, more than 112,000 people annually are treated in emergency rooms across the country for scalding burn injuries.
Children and the elderly are much more likely to suffer scalding burn injuries due to the fact that their skin is highly sensitive to heat. Children usually fail to realize that boiling water on the stove top is extremely hot, so it is essential to monitor your child at all times when cooking in the kitchen. When a child is burned by hot water on the stove, the caregiver of the child can be liable for injuries. Regardless of who or what caused your child’s burn injury, a Pasco County Child Burn Injury Lawyer can help you figure out if you are able to pursue compensation for your losses.
At Whittel & Melton, we remain dedicated to helping scalding burn injury victims obtain the resources they need in order to make a full recovery. We can help you and those closest to you recover the financial compensation you deserve. If your child has suffered a scalding burn injury in an accident in Wesley Chapel or the surrounding area, please call us today at 727-847-2299 to arrange a free initial consultation or contact us online.