Pasco County Negligent Security Attorney :: Can Your Landlord be Responsible for Criminal Activity at Your Apartment or House?

If criminal activity is buzzing in and around your Wesley Chapel apartment building or Lutz home, you may be wondering what you should do and who you can call to fix the problem. First, you need to notify police. Second, you might want to put a call in to your landlord.

1379771_apartment.jpgWhile your landlord might not live in the home or building and was not involved in the crime, he or she still has a responsibility to provide you with a safe and secure dwelling. There is a duty between landlords and tenants to warn them about dangerous conditions and make sure the building or house meets or exceeds local laws regarding safety. This means that locks and other security features, such as security cameras, must be in working order. Windows, doors and other openings should be in good condition.

Should your landlord notice that the building is unsafe, changes should be implemented immediately. If crime is the problem, security measures should be amped up. If a landlord fails to fulfill his obligation and a tenant becomes injured as a result of a crime, then a negligent security lawsuit may be appropriate.

If you have been injured in a criminal attack that could have been avoided with sufficient security, contact a Pasco County Negligent Security Attorney at Whittel & Melton online or call 352-666-2121. We can help you understand your rights as a tenant and determine if you have a case against your landlord.

Contact Information